Friday, March 20, 2009

March Madness

For the past several years, my husband has hosted a family and friends March Madness pool - and this year is no different. Of course, the biggest challenge is technology related - can our parents actually figure out how to enter their picks in the computer. Fortunately, we have siblings close by this year that can help!

After day one of picks, Dad is leading the pool - with 15 of 16 picks correct! We'll see if that can continue the rest of the weekend. I was surprised that Dad did not pick Kansas to win - he always seems to favor the Big 12 teams, but not this year.

Dad is improving every day. He is getting around the house without a walker and Denny has been picking him up this week for coffee. He's been able to check his email and has chatted with friends not in the Pender area on the phone.

The goal for the end of April is to make a trip to Ann Arbor for Jacki and Sean's graduation from the University of Michigan. At this rate or recovery, that is a very attainable goal. How special that would be for Mom, Dad, and Jacki.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Miracle Man continues to lead in the Gaiss/Kauffold pool. Imagine he had the same picks for your family pool as well. So happy to hear how well he's recovering. Mom and Dad visited this week. I could tell in my Dad's voice how impressed he was with Uncle Jerry's progress. Good therapy for him to rejoin his coffee buddies!

Jerry Karlen said...

BE ON THE ALERT!!!! I am now catching up - having read julia's whole 48 page blog on my transformation from a piece of warm meat to whatever I have become today. My read on it is that I have recovered about 95% of my mental and about 75% of my physical capacities. Not that those percentages mcan much (compared with what I started with) but a lot better than the chance the surgeon gave Jean after he tapped my head to release the pressure. "He told her that my chances of surviving that night were less than 5%. When I saw him last week (first time I remember meeting him) he told me that he had never had a case as bad as mine that made it as far back as I did - go figure!"

Anyway, THANKS for all the support, thoughts, and prayers. Something had to work for me to be able to still be here!!!

Jerry Karlen

Anonymous said...

I have been remiss in not thanking the person most responsible for me being here, and that individual is Jean. It is the "first respondent" who has the greatest say in who survives. In a seminar given to physicians, it was determined that your spouse should be the one trained in surviaal techniques, as he/she was the one most responsible for your survival.