Friday, May 06, 2011

A Mother's Guilt

Yesterday, I flew from Denver to San Francisco to see my sister and spend some time with her family (and my new nephew). It will be the second Mother's Day away from my kids (that means I've missed 40% of my youngest's Mother's Days). In 2008, my kids were too young to know. That's not the case this time. My eldest cried and proceeded to go through every weekend of the year to try and figure out why my trip had to be THIS weekend. I tried to say that we should treat every day like Mother's Day, but he wasn't buying it. This is a "pacific" day for us to be together. And with that, the "Mom guilt" kicks in.

I once had a friend tell me that she wished someone would have warned her about "Mom guilt." I couldn't agree more. Who knew I would feel guilty for not buying the right baby food. Feeling guilty for doing dishes instead of playing with my kids. Guilt for not volunteering more, for dragging kids all over town to run errands, etc., etc. And, yet I need to give myself a break. The kids are well-adjusted (so far) and our house is a pretty happy place. Most days I find myself thankful for the wonderful life and family I have. I come home happy and looking forward to spending the evening together and sharing the stories of our days with each other.

So even though the "Mom guilt" still lurks here and there (and will be around a bit this weekend now thanks to my eldest), I know the boys will have a great time with Marshall. And when I return, the boys and I will appreciate each other a bit more. While I love my children beyond words, as Claire on Modern Family stated last night, "sometimes they drive you nuts." And a little time away (even if it is Mother's Day) is good for everyone.

No comments: