Tuesday, August 07, 2012

In Search of Community

Tonight we had a picnic to celebrate the end of baseball season. Even though we were only able to participate for half the season, our eldest was determined to go.

Of course, the only people we knew were the coaches as we have participated in various sports through this rec center throughout the years. No one from our old school. No one from basketball. On the way home from the last game, D-man said he wants to play sports with his friends. And this is one of many reasons we are moving.

I know D-man is sad to leave his house. Leave his school. Leave his Cub Scout pack. And leave all that is familiar. He's scared. I'm scared. But I know that while it is hard to leave something so familiar, I know this is the best thing in the long run. Families with kids (hopefully). Kids (boys) in the new school that are similar to our boys (hopefully). Community activities (hopefully). Better schools (hopefully) that will be attended by families we know for a long time.

So while there is much to worry about, I'm working on keeping focused on why we are putting our family thought this. Our family. Community.

And, the boys did enjoy a game of kickball (T-man on first; D-man kicking) with a bunch of strangers at the picnic. It would just be more fun if they knew the kids. And next time they will (hopefully).

No comments: