Sunday, August 13, 2017

8th Grade Earth Science

Last spring, we met with the school counselor and decided that D-man would take Advanced Biology at the high school this year and study 8th grade earth science over the summer. Well....... let's just say the summer has come and gone, but with T-man and Marshall gone this weekend, we have accomplished our goal! 

D-man and I trekked up to Dinosaur Ridge in Morrison to learn about rock formation, plate techtonics and the Earth's history. We then headed into Morrison for lunch. When we returned, he headed to golf and I went to happy hour with 10 Moms who have 5th grade boys. We wrapped up the night with a trip to Target and watching the movie "Hidden Figures." 

On Sunday morning, we talked climate types, rock cycle, weather cycle, geological time, and did some research on astronomy over breakfast - I learned a lot and I think we both had fun? We then made a quick trip to the National Center for Atmospheric Research for some hands on experience with weather and climate. 

It was fun being a tourist in our own backyard as we had never been to either of these locations. And also very special to have his 1:1 time - he's around less and less. I will definitely treasure this weekend. 




Lots of hiking on Saturday 




 
Lunch in Morrison 



NCAR 








 View from NCAR 

No comments: