Today is obviously a big day in the United States. I am truly hopeful that it will be a day where we will avoid any questions about the validity of ballots, polling place problems, etc. I found myself driving back from the boys' school with such a sense of pride today - just like I did when I turned in my mail in ballot last week. How fortunate I feel to live in a country where we can select our leaders without fear, conflict, or violence.
Every time I vote, I am reminded of my experience as a college freshman in 1992. I was touring Eastern Europe and Russia with my college choir and had a home stay in Slovakia. There were a few key things I remember about that visit:
1) My hosts could speak very little English. However, the girl's boyfriend spoke a bit of English and had a red translation book he used.
2) The boyfriend used the book to tell me that Slovakia was now like the United States and they were able to vote and that they had political parties like Democrats and Republicans.
3) I remember thinking - here are people that can barely speak English, but know the political parties in the United States and are so full of hope that they can now vote. Their excitement and passion has had a profound effect on my pride as an American and all that comes with that.
4) I made a vow that day to vote in every election and not take my ability to vote for granted. How much my eyes were opened as a young 19 year old.
5) They offered me a glass of milk and I hadn't had one during my trip. I was so excited to get some nice cold milk. When they brought me warm goat's milk, I was of course, a bit shocked, but of course, drank it all since I had been so excited to receive it.
I am proud to have voted and I am thankful for this opportunity - especially during times like these.
No comments:
Post a Comment