Wednesday, April 01, 2009

A 5 Year Old's Kindergarten School Application

Last night, I had to sit down with Drake and complete some questions for his Kindergarten school application. He had to answer the questions and I wrote them down. Here's the output.

Please list THREE reasons why you would like to attend Highline Academy Charter School.
  1. I would like to go to see what all the schools are like.
  2. because I am a smart boy and I like to go there.
  3. I like my school the bestest, maybe another school for Kindergarten.
We expect our students to give 100% effort and require students to attend a lunch time or after school study hall if homework is not completed from the night before or if the quality of homework does not meet the teacher's expectations. How do you feel about that?

good because I like school.

Our school community is based on five core values REACH (responsibility, empowerment, aspiration, citizenship, and honesty). Which value do you think would be the most difficult for you to live consistently? Why? (try to explain these words to a 5 year old - definitely a test of my thesaurus skills!).

Honesty because you have to think here and there. Think everywhere. Because it is kind of hard if you didn't see and you have to tell the truth.

Our school community considers a "C" (below 80%) failing. Students who fail 2 or more classes are recommended for retention. What would you do if you were recommended for retention? What class do you think you might most struggle with academically?


Have somebody help you by telling - a child can help you. College because that is the last school.

Share a time when you violated school rules and what you did to make it right.

I was 3 years old. Someone bit me and they thought it was me. By telling when I got up, they asked what I was doing, I told them I didn't do it. Luke did it. He was 4 - he knew better.

Please list THREE things you hope to get done by the time you are 25.
  1. Go to school because I like school instead of staying home with Mom because I want to get "work" done (he's referring to "Montessori" work).
  2. Not stay home on Saturdays and Sundays.
  3. I want to be good at stuff.

No comments: