Our Proud Kindergartener
We survived the first day of kindergarten. It might have been easier than I thought it was going to be - the day was only 2.5 hours and I was there the entire time. We got to put out the school supplies, fill out some forms, and have an informational time with the teacher. It was great to get to know the teacher a bit more as well as some other parents in the class. Tomorrow might actually be harder than today - having to leave him there alone........
Drake was his usual observing self - taking it all in. Later in the day, he told me that he had a fun day at school which, of course, made me very happy. I can definitely see the shy side of me in him at times like these.
I really do hope that he does well at this school. We feel fortunate to have Drake at Highline Academy, but of course, a parent always worries if they are making the right decision. Will he have fun? Will he thrive? Will he be bored? Will he make friends? I keep having to remind myself that many of my friends and colleagues came from very diverse educational experiences and we work side by side. Life (and school) is what you make of it. And as the flier we got from the school
said, research shows that when parents are involved, students have:
- Higher grades, test scores, and graduation rates
- Better school attendance
- Increased motivation and better self-esteem
- Lower rates of suspension
- Decreased use of alcohol and other drugs
- Fewer instances of violent behavior
- Greater enrollment rates in postsecondary education
No comments:
Post a Comment