Yesterday, I officially lost my voice. I have to say this is a first. Of course, the timing is never great - Marshall left last night for a long weekend skiing with his family and I'm headed to Miami next week (I'm hopeful it will be back before then).
Given that I have no voice, I have resorted to whispering (which incidently, I just discovered on WebMD can actually irritate it more). Apparently, I am supposed to "talk softly". We'll see how that goes.
Due to my affliction, I discovered last night that the boys have to be much more alert when I am talking so softly. There's no yelling from me upstairs to the boys downstairs that it is time to get ready for bed. I can't answer to kids yelling at me "to come see" from throughout the house. When I talk with my 3 year old, he immediately answers back in a whisper. When I felt myself getting frustrated last night, I couldn't even try to raise my voice which resulted in me actually calming down.
The boys' Montessori teacher has always said that they speak much more softly to the children in the classroom (and that when parents come barging into drop off their children talking in their "normal" voices, it completely disrupts the classroom). I'm now truly seeing the power of whispering both in my children and myself. Maybe this losing my voice isn't so bad.........
No comments:
Post a Comment