Tuesday, April 13, 2010

When being frugal pays off (and when it doesn't)......

This past weekend, I flew to Detroit via Salt Lake City for my cousin's baby shower. When I was looking to book my ticket, price was top of mind. This was followed closely by flying times. Due to my unemployment status and the fact I wasn't going to be traveling with kids, I was a bit more open to more flying "effort" than is usually the case.

In order to get the best price, I needed to fly on Thursday and fly through SLC. Although not ideal, this flight would save me* more than $200 and still allow me to help get the boys to school in the morning and get the house in order. In this case, my frugality was worth the effort.

Fast forward to the Thursday of my flight. I was evaluating my airport parking options. I checked out Skyride and determined the bus times weren't going to work with my schedule. I decided I would park where I normally park and spend the extra money. Well, that was the plan until I got to the airport.

At the last minute, I decided I would park in the DIA lot. Several years ago I vowed not to park here - especially after kids. On Thursday, I was painfully reminded why I made that decision.

As I waited (and waited) for the bus, I couldn't help but start calculating how much money I was saving. Eight bucks. A total of eight bucks. After finally boarding the bus, I kept thinking to save eight dollars, I am making ten more stops on this bus. To save eight dollars, I'm starting to worry if I'll miss my flight. This eight dollar savings is not worth it.

Don't get me wrong. I don't diminish the value of eight dollars. I clip coupons. I buy five cans of chicken broth because they are fifty cents off. I have trouble buying clothes if they aren't on sale (and brag about the great deal I got). And yes, I did these things before being frugal was "in".

But today, I was reminded of when it is worth it (for $200) and when it is not (for $8). And when there are times when my time is more valuable than my money.

*Disclaimer: My parents paid for my flight.

No comments: