Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Night Lights

D-man running with the ball!

This fall, D-man decided that he wanted to play flag football. He doesn't ask to do much so when he shows interest in something, we try to make it work. So, our fall Friday nights now kick off with a 5:30 flag football game (followed by Friday night take out of course).

Right now, he isn't loving it. They only had 2 practices (of which he attended 5 minutes total). So, he was quite apprehensive about the first game because he hadn't practiced, he didn't know the rules, or what he was supposed to do. He didn't love it this week either (he got knocked in the head at the end of the game and ended up crying).

I've given him the speech about finishing something you start, being there for your team, etc. Even if he doesn't love it, he will finish the season out because I think it is important that he understands that not everything you do in life is fun. Sometimes you have to stick it out because others are depending on you. Sometimes you have to see things through because you just never know, it may get better. And if it doesn't, you've certainly learned something about yourself.

Selfishly, I'm ok with him not liking flag football. While I love football, I have no desire to have my son play it. Recent studies about football and brain injury are enough to make a mother prefer the sports of diving, swimming, and golf that her son enjoys. But, for now, we'll be spending our fall Friday nights watching D-man run, catch, and chase what seems to be the ever elusive flags of the opposing teams.

in the huddle getting the play  

taking in the game

No comments: