Tuesday, August 20, 2024

The Crossover

It's 9:15 and I'm out on the back patio enjoying some peach crisp (made with Colorado Palisade peaches) and it is completely dark (except for my umbrella lights). Even though it is a warm 77 degrees, nothing signals the ending of summer more than the darkening evenings. 

It was over 90 degrees today and I ventured to the pool after work as the house was quiet (Drake out and about, Tanner at PT and Marshall still working). It can feel like it is almost two different seasons in one day. And because Tanner doesn't have 1st period this semester, I'm still sleeping in more than I would if he had a regular start. Still summer mornings in my book. 

Not only are we crossing over from long summer nights to shorter school nights, we're crossing back to a family of  three tomorrow and a new normal. We'll get back in the groove, but I know it will take some time for me. Fortunately, getting the house back in order will give me something to do. And we've got lots of fall adventures ahead of us. 

I suppose the rainbow I saw today at the pool is a true symbol of crossing over from rain to sunshine. And nothing like a rainbow to remind you that you can't get the beauty of a rainbow without some rain. The crossover is hard because our summer was so great and for that I am thankful (and of course, a little teary-eyed as I write this). 




No comments: