Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A Walk with Boston

A few weeks ago, I was walking around the park and ended up walking a good portion of it with a kid named 'Boston'. Boston, a seventh grader, informed me that he walks to and from school every day - a total of 25 miles per week. He walks 5 miles a day - 2.5 each way. And while in this day and age of childhood obesity, I think walking to school is great -- I couldn't help but wonder if that was TOO far. He has to be at school by 7:20 so he leaves his house by 6:30 every day - in the winter it isn't even light out yet. He crosses two busy streets and walks parallel to a busy road for probably a third of the way.  I can understand that if possible, walking to school is a great thing. But is there a limit? Or am I just an overprotective Mom that is going to have to lighten up when her kids get older?

No comments: