Friday, May 14, 2010

Why I Love Fridays

I love Fridays. People just seem happier on Fridays. People seem nicer on Fridays. When I was working, there seemed to be less stress on Friday, less meetings, and more positive vibes and uplifting anticipation of the weekend ahead. 

But the love of Fridays isn't anything new. As a kid, I remember piling into the station wagon with family friends and heading to the neighboring town for pizza on Fridays.  My mom never cooked on Friday. Friday was the night to "go out". And when one grew up in a town that had little options for eating out, this was a big deal.  I remember my mom's FAC (Friday Afternoon Club). Yup, Fridays were something special and this was instilled at a young age.

In high school, Fridays became football games and "driving mains'.  In college, the kick off to the weekend often began on Thursday, but Fridays were still full of anticipation and time with friends. Friday night happy hours became the norm after entering the "real world".  And although, the location of Friday night happy hours is often in my own kitchen, it signals the beginning of the weekend.

Now that I have my own family, I've implemented Friday night "take out" (one of the many ways I am like my mother). I don't have to plan dinner. I don't have to worry what we have in the fridge or if I have all the ingredients. I can just know that the weekend is almost here and I'll be kicking it off with the folks that mean the most to me.

Virtual "Cheers!" to all of you! Happy hour is almost here!

No comments: