Thursday, August 27, 2026

Off to the Midwest They Go

It is much easier to write this post with the boys now gone over a week..... (and I've obviously kept busy as I haven't had to time to blog about this yet). 

Both boys were to be around the weekend before they left, but Drake had travel challenges and didn't arrive until late Saturday night (unfortunate as we had plans to go to Henry's with him and some friends). Sunday was a day spent at home with packing, hanging out, playing cards and sharing a yummy meal together - meatballs, homemade sauce and bread, salad and corn on the cob. The boys took off on Monday morning around 9:15 in the Honda Odyssey (aka the chariot) packed to the gills with a quick swing back to pick up Tanner's tennis shoes. 

I was pretty emotional Sunday morning (when I was the only one awake) and also shed tears when the boys took off. Even though we weren't all home together much in Colorado this summer, it was still a summer when all of us were "home." And this year hits a little bit harder, as this is yet another stage in life's journey with Drake starting a real job and his life in Chicago soon. Life is funny in that the goal of raising children is so that you can give them a strong foundation and lots of love and support  so that they can soar. And while this is what is supposed to happen, it is still bittersweet. 

So, here's to the next phase in the journey. May it be even more wonderful than the last. 

A message that came with a gift for Drake

the staging area

I will miss the whir of the 3D printer (and Tanner being in the dining room while I work) 

a mug I got from the boys a couple of years ago (and flowers from Marshall) 💗




euchre 

limeade pie

midwestern food sendoff



our young men (can't call them boys really) 

thought the corn hat was appropriate for the day 

and they are off (and I'm with the phone and the tears as they leave) 


No comments: