Sunday, August 01, 2010

Every Mom Has Her Thing

Every Mom has her thing. For some, it is all about organic foods.  For others, it is making sure their kids always wear matching clothes. For my sister, it's making sure her girls actually eat their food (she likes them to have matching outfits as well). For me, it is sleep.

Since my oldest was born, I have been obsessed about the amount of sleep my boys get (I am actually much better about it now that they are older). But, I was reminded about my "obsession" when I was trying to get my one year old nephew down for a nap this past weekend. Of course, he didn't fall asleep, but he lived. We all did.

When my eldest was first born, there was an article about how important sleep was to a child. From then on, I was cursed. I spent countless hours making sure my kids got enough sleep and were good sleepers. My efforts eventually paid off - my kids are good sleepers and can sleep most anywhere (we always travel with a white noise machine). And I still see more and more research about the importance of sleep (both for children and adults). Hopefully, the "sleep nazi" in me has helped my kids do better in school, stay healthy, and avoid those horrible melt downs from being over tired.

And even though true nap time is over at our house, we still have rest time cuz mama needs her sleep too. :)

1 comment:

Kelly Sanders said...

you're right Julia, every mom DOES have her thing. My thing is water. I ALWAYS have to take a water bottle for each child wherever we go, I'm obsessive about it. I know it is because when I worked in the E.R. I saw countless babies and kids who were dehydrated due to illness, or, due to getting overheated. Ever since, even when my babies were nursing, or starting "sippy cups" I was always keeping track of how much they drank. Once we were running a quick errand near our house and returning home immediately, so I didn't grab the water. Inevitably the kids needed a drink. They were SHOCKED to hear that I didn't bring any water. Hmm. I guess they do notice after all!!!!!