Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Two Sides of the Coin


I'm really at an interesting point in my life. I've had an amazing summer with the boys - swimming, traveling, sleeping in, and just the ability to truly relax. And yet, when I prepare for an interview or research a company, I get excited. I enjoy working. I enjoy being part of a team and creating good things. What I don't enjoy is the struggle to enjoy both my home and my work life. I know I want to go back to work and have so much to offer. Of course, the idea of going to work also makes me a bit sad too.  How do I ensure the needs of my family are met on so many levels - personally, socially, financially, etc.?

I think this is something so many women struggle with - how can you balance both sides of your life? How can you have fulfillment as a mother and a professional? I was so fortunate to work for a family friendly company and family friendly bosses the past 9 years. And although I am excited the next chapter in my professional life, I can't help but look back on the last 7 months with some nostalgia.  Once I do start a new job, it will be an exciting new chapter in my life. And, I am so thankful for the last few chapters of my life - some wonderful time off, some time to myself, and some wonderful years at a great company.

And, like any new chapter, things seem to work out. I would have never asked to be laid off (or just quit my job) to "hang out" for 7 months, but that's what happened. And I truly enjoyed it.  I'll always be able to look back and remember "that summer".  And even though the boys may not remember it, I will. And when the next chapter begins, we'll figure out our new reality and I'll be thankful for the two sides of the coin in my life. No matter heads or tails, I win.

3 comments:

Kelly Sanders said...

I know. I wrestle with this a lot, though I've been off a lot longer than 7mos... Hopefully, later on, both my kids AND I will look back on this stay-at-home mom stuff with fondness. Do I like it every day now? No. But, I know, in the future, when I look back on it, when my kids are older, I will be very glad that I had this opportunity with my kids. Someone told me,(I can't remember who now )"Your kids are only young for a short time. You have the rest of your life to work, if you want." meaning, don't be in such a hurry to go out and work but enjoy the short time your kids are little, they actually need you and want you around, and go back to work when they don't. Aiden is 8 now, so it won't be that long until mom isn't cool anymore. I try to remember this when I'm impatient or angry with him, knowing that some day, I'll miss it.

Jenn Manriquez said...

Well said, Julia. Your writing is always so thoughtful. While you say that the boys may not remember the summer when you "stayed home" with them, they will remember that you were present in their lives. IMO, the world would be a better place if more employers offered flexible work opportunities so that 1 parent could provide the "presence" that is needed.

Keri said...

This is such an amazing entry -- are you sure that you should not be published?!?! Continue to enjoy this journey in life......