Tuesday, May 16, 2023

Mom’s Day

For whatever reason, I am often not home over Mother’s Day. This year was no different. However, the good news is that I was with my mom on Mother’s Day along with both my sisters. We had a very casual breakfast with coffee and rolls before the Marshall family took off for home. I was also happy to be with our eldest on Mother’s Day and also chat with Tanner. 

For Mother’s Day, I thought I would write down some things I learned from my mom or phrases I always remember. 

  • “It will get worse before it gets better.”
  • The reasons they don’t want you dating him is because they like him.
  • Always pack extra clothes in your carryon on long flights. 
  • Wear comfortable shoes when traveling. 
  • It’s possible to have a career and a family too. 
  • Stats is the most beneficial math class. 
  • When there is something that needs to be done - just do it. Don’t ask for permission. 
  • Don’t ask people what they need when going through a difficult time. Tell them what you are going to do. 
  • Go crazy at Christmas. 
  • Don’t let the last present your kid opens at Christmas be a vacuum. 
  • Use a paper map. 
  • Go out and see the world. 
  • It’s ok to have dad do the laundry, make dinner, etc. 
  • Run a brush through your hair a couple times when you don’t have time to wash it. 
  • Music is good for the soul. 
  • You CAN get a lot of meat off a chicken (but I still am not good at it). 
  • Have a growth mindset. 
  • Teachers/professors have a profound affect on the lives of so many. 
  • Driving large vehicles up mountain passes is not a good idea.
  • Volunteering your time for others is a worthwhile cause. 
Thank you Mom for all you have taught me and continue to teach me. I love you. 

Karlen women 

Mother’s Day with Drake  - some really great late nights conversations were the best gift I could get 

Recent picture with Tanner - missed being with him, but had some nice time together tonight 








No comments: